Wednesday 23 April 2008

Middle Study Crisis



As I guess most of the guys in “the gang”, I’ve always wanted to be a vet, but I always had some problems with being underrated for being one. I guess this is one of the reasons for ending up in Vienna. If you live in the middle sized, Middle Eastern, middle everything country that Romania is, and you are born with the feeling that you have to save cuddly little innocent animals, you are being faced with the paradox that, in spite your good intentions, you end up being considered a second hand doctor, barely more than an animal science technician. And even more sadly…you end up realizing that it’s exactly what you became.

I always had an issue with human doctors. It’s not their fault, I guess it’s mine (or ours), but always hated the inconsideration and the condescendence with which they look upon our profession. Why? ... Actually they’re right, and that’s what makes me angry. Why do we have to be less than them?! Is it maybe because we eat our patients? Is it maybe because our patients’ lives literally have financial meaning? Because we are taught to think economically?

And the whole system we’re running around in, beginning from the faculty that “built” us and ending with the private practice or the farm we work in…it all gives me a feeling of uselessness.

I had this talk with myself a long time ago, and asked myself what do I really want to do? Do I want to do real medicine, or do I want to help animals on a larger scale? Because sometimes these things are quite different. Five years ago, when I got into vet school I said to myself that I will do both, by doing wildlife medicine. I won’t have to deal with crazy owners, fat over spoiled poodles (I own 2, and I know how the little devils think…), I won’t have to be confined to a small private practice. So small animal medicine was not for me.

…Until I got to see what small animal medicine means in Vienna…Until I saw what you can do when you have an ultrasound in every room, Rx, CT, MRI just around the corner, every imaginable lab works ready until tomorrow, every student walks around with Littman around their necks, surgery equipment they don’t afford in Romania in human hospitals (I started seeing laparoscopy as the norm…I have seen so many surgeries, courses and rentability studies on laparoscopy, that I wonder why didn’t they start using this technique earlier?!) My everlasting dream of roaming the forests in search of God knows what GPS-tracked critter started to transform into a simple biologist’s job. I have suddenly seen an opportunity to step up there, next to the human doctors

Actually life in Vienna is not a revelation and it’s not so pink at all as it may seem. But that’s another story…

…to be continued….



Ioana

1 comment:

Andreea said...

Very much truth into what you said. Sadly, this is the romanian mentality, and I don't blame 100% romanian human doctors for this attitude...In the country where our fellow practictioners spay animals at home on the kitchen stove (true story!! a vet made a home spay with the poor animal being spayed on the "aragaz" in the kitchen!!)or most of the veterinary "clinics" are equipped with 10 bottles of drugs, few serynges and middle age mentalities, this is how the profession will be regarded (and payed) in Romania.
And the perpetual question...do we leave in search of better social status, salaries and possibilities or do we try to make a difference at home where there is so much need for it?
We make the best we can.