Sunday 20 April 2008

Life is a beach

I found myself this afternoon on the beach.

It was a perfect sunny day, the temperatures was in the upper end 20's, patchy clouds now and then, and I was spending my afternoon on one of the finest Caribbean beaches. The picture was complete with perfect golden icing sugar sand, palm trees and the clearest turquoise water I have ever seen before that. The 7 Mile beach.

It was a long awaited break from the hectic rhythm at work, and around me was a fair number of people, in small gangs, spending their afternoon on the beach as well.

I had 2 editions of National Geographic to keep me company. There was one article in particular that caught my eye. It was about the Kurds, and the ethnic troubles that bother the intersection of Irak, Syria and Turkey. I was particular attention as I have a once very close Romanian friend that works very close to the region.

Looking around me, and then looking at the photos, reading and knowing about the trouble, bomb attacks and danger happening in the same time in another corner of the planet I couldn't help but feeling in a parallel universe. I drifted later on somewhat remembering there is such a huge difference between my own home place, a safe but tough country, and the place where I am now, with all the prosperity and easy lifestyle surrounding me.

And then I looked at the people around me, wondering if they ever appreciate where they are, if they actually know how easy their life is, or are they just taking it for granted? I have seen too many spoiled...nearly pointed the finger at the nation, :) politically incorrect, well I'll just say spoiled north Americans to know they probably don't...

And then there were a few chicks a few meters away, bitching away about ..various general stuff.. and I knew for sure most people here don't appreciate the good and affordable heath care system they have for instance, or the cheap petrol, or the perpetual perfect summer,

and as it happened actually more then once, I wished I could pack them all up and send them for a 6 months of compulsory living in Urlati, Romania. Or Mizil, Romania for that matter.

I reckon upon return the world would be a better place. For both parties involved:)

No comments: