Thursday 4 June 2009

From a different age, from a different country

Even for a non gourmand vet like myself, travelling for a few years along different countries has brought a culinary imprint.Namely, stuff that I ate and I liked,but then once I left that specific country or corner of the world, these were also left behind.
Well, nowadays I am starting to change that, as my culinary bible has entered my life, teaching me how to do for instance that delicious middle eastern salad called Tabouleh, or soon to try my hand out with a home made salsa recipe.
Anyway, there was something that I ate quite a lot of while I was a resident of Cyprus. These guys make also a delicious white goat cheese, called Halloumi, a cheese that is so special in many ways, but it can actually be grilled; top a few grilled brown now slices with some fresh lemon juice, capers and some toast or better yet pitta and I have my very own mediterranean dinner.
And, to my magnificent surprise, faithfull reader, wondering thru the aisles of a big supermarket from Cayman, here it was in front of my eyes, a nice big chunk of Halloumi, that came all the way from Nicosia via California, costing ten times more then in situ, but nevertheless, with such travelling, one can only expect. Nedless to say, I have since aquired many of those and trying to convert as many as I can;)


PS Here is the proof, in form of photographical evidence!

1 comment:

anca said...

Vai ce bucurie mi-ai facut ! Abia astept sa ajung acolo si sa manac Halloumi prajit ! Chiar daca e scumpa, merita ! Sa stii ca si eu ii duc dorul....Si salata de laptuci din Cipru, cu ceapa si usturoi verde ? Iti mai aduci aminte ? Iam,iam,iam !